Rabbit Hole’s Dereringer is one of my favorite holiday pours, and for good reason. Not only is it delicious, but it pairs incredibly well with traditional holiday meals and snacks.
It is delicious, with a strong bourbon backbone full of classic bourbon flavors. The finish in the PX Sherry Cask brings with it nice fruit and honey undertones that pair nicely with the spiced and wooded notes present in the base bourbon.
To help you all get into the holiday spirit, I’m going to share two of my favorite recipes that are sure to be a hit at your holiday parties! Both feature Rabbit Hole’s Dereringer as the star of the show!
Dereringer Cranberry Sauce
The delicious sweetness of the cranberry sauce is enhanced by the sherry notes from the Dereringer. It is also balanced out by the earthy and spiced note of the base bourbon. Overall, this is a great cranberry sauce for adults to enjoy and can help the cranberry sauce pair nicely with a holiday dram rather than overpower it.
- 12 oz bag of fresh cranberries
- 2/3 cup of brown sugar
- 1/3 cup Dereringer Whiskey
- 2/3 cup of water
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Combine ingredients into a medium pot and bring to a medium-high temperature until sugar is melted and the sauce begins to simmer.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until sauce thickens. This should take around 15 minutes.
- Allow sauce to cool and transfer to serving dish.
Sherry Cranberry Cocktail
This cocktail uses a recipe I found some years ago on a website called “A Couple Cooks.” It has since served me well and has been a hit at a number of holiday gatherings I’ve had at my house. With a little prep, this is a drink that can wow guests and something to make when you’re feeling extra festive.
- 1.5 oz Rabbit Hole Dereringer Whiskey
- 1 oz sweet red vermouth
- 2 oz orange juice
- 1oz unsweetend cranberry juice (100% juice)
- 1/2oz simple syrup
- 1 sprig of rosemerry
- 3 Frozen Cranberries
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice and pour ingredients into shaker.
- Shake for 30 seconds.
- Strain over a large ice cube.
- Place frozen cranberries on top of drink.
- Rub sprig of rosemary gently between fingers to release the oil.
- Give the drink 5 good stirs with the rosemary sprig.
You can learn more about Rabbit Hole’s Dereringer by clicking here.
Greg Sinadinos started his spirits journey writing a whiskey periodical for Fine Tobacco NYC Magazine. He began answering review requests under a social media page he named “Whiskey Culture,” which quickly merged with Greg’s passion for connecting with others and his interest in history.
Today, Greg travels the country not just looking for great whiskey, but also exploring the history and individuals that the whiskey community is founded upon. He has authored “Whiskey History From Around The World” and is the host of “The Rickhouse” web series.